Pages

Friday 3 April 2015

The "Problem" With Black Hair

Black hair is something that I think is very beautiful and unique from the different kinds of hair people have. I understand that a lot of people think that too but some obnoxious people cross the line between being nice and being downright creepy and inappropriate. So here I'm going to figure out the "problems" people have with black hair and how we can solve them.

Mr and Mrs Touchy Feely

I understand you may not have had a lot of experience with having an afro, braids, a weave or a wig but in no way does that give you permission to touch my hair without asking unless you are looking to get slapped. This is downright disrespectful and unnecessary, especially since you think it is okay to touch my hair just because it is different. Don't ask me either because the answer will be no. Here's a tip for you, accept people's uniqueness without making them feel uncomfortable. Don't touch my hair, don't pull my hair and DO NOT PUT ANYTHING in my hair because I will not be held responsible for my actions. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to feel like your hair is the headline act at the circus.


The Suggestion Queens
Sometimes when non black people see other black people's hair they become experts on the subject and know what styles you should or shouldn't do. Thank you for suggesting I should have some sort of colour in my braids next time or that I should straighten my hair but... No. Most importantly do not tell me to get a weave. Ever. When I decide to rock my natural hair do not repeatedly ask me when I am going to get it done again because not only is is really rude, it takes a lot of confidence for black women to wear their natural hair out and we don't need to hear you indirectly telling us that it's not good enough for your standard of beauty.

The Brainless Beings

This section is dedicated to the people who ask questions and make me wonder why people decide not to use common sense and think before speaking. So let me help you out so you never have to ruin a black person's day again.


  • Do you wash your hair?
Do you breathe?


  • When you have fake hair in where is your real hair?
On my head.


  • Where does your real hair go up to?
How will that affect your life in any way?


  • How do your braids stay in? Like do you have to take them out before you go to bed?
Yes, I wake up everyday 5 hours early and redo my braids *eye roll*


  • Whoa, your hair was so short yesterday how did it grow so fast?
You know we're not the only people who wear weaves and extensions right...

Stop The Assuming

Let me help you out with something. When you see a black person with long hair do not assume that their hair is fake. Not only are you stereotyping but you are just making other people see you as ignorant and stupid. Their hair is probably real and they are probably very proud of that fact so how about not assuming and instead treat them like a normal person. Also don't assume that the reason that we wear braids, weaves or wigs is because we are not confident enough to show a side of us that isn't always seen or that we are trying to appear like the norm. Just because I want to change up my hairstyle doesn't mean I hate myself. Stop assuming and start looking at our hair as you would a 'normal' persons.
From now on start treating people how you would like to be treated and think before you say anything from your mouth that is likely to hurt someone. For all my black sisters out there. wear you hair how you want to and don't feel pressured to conform.







10 comments:

  1. Thanks for reading I'll make sure to check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was hilarious, I loved it! My hair is a constant source of heartburn so i can definitely relate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading, glad we can relate!

      Delete
  3. Hi there! I am a journalist looking to use the gif on your blog post. Do you mind? I can give you credit for it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete